Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Mine: A Love Story Worth Digging For

Overall: ★★★★★ (4.5 Rounded up)

I feel like I can't go wrong lately, all of the works I have been gifted to read and review have been spectacular. This non-erotic romance is no exception. I loved it. I enjoyed the story line, the plot and the development of characters. If the ending hadn't felt so rushed it would have been a solid 5 star review.

Originality: ★★★★

Maybe the idea of time travel is not original but there were no flying boxes or cars that traveled back in time, so I felt like the approach was original. Plus the plot twists and turns really added to what I felt was genuine originality. Heldt reaches into the inner depths of his mind and his historical knowledge and pulls out a well written, originally thought out piece. Very impressive.

Character Development: ★★★★

There may be light spoilers here, but nothing too extreme- I promise. I do want to warn you though. I love the way the characters were developed. I felt like for the most part the were three dimensional and had a lot of back story. But I had a few issues here, so I can't give it four stars. There were times when I felt like this aspect was rushed. When Joel first went back in time and at the end when the resolution was occurring.  His grandmother both in the past and present could stand to be a little more developed and have a bit more back story. That being said, it was done exceedingly well for the debut piece and I am pleased to have read it.

Editing:★★★

John Heldt is a librarian by trade, so I would expect nothing less. 

The Romance: 

Normally I entitle this section "The Sex" but when it comes to romances like this, it doesn't apply. And I really need to include "l'amore" as my nerdy husband calls it. The historical romance of this section is beautiful. The tension is just right, the writing is sweet. This author knows his stuff! I fell in love with them as they fell in love with each other.

Please, go buy this book. Support us indie authors. And while you are at it, check out my other reviews!

Veronica Hardy is a professional editor and author who enjoys writing reviews in her spare time, for fun. She is not compensated by authors, publishers or online retail markets for her opinions. If you are interested in a book review or editing services please email her at Veronica.R.Hardy@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment