Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Words Once Spoken Has Great Potential, With a Few Issues with... Words

Overall: ★★★

Carly Drake has a compelling story with a few plot holes, and a writing style that is hard to overcome. But if you do, I promise it is worth the read. I love the world and though I wish it was in anything but first person present tense, it had me turning pages!


Authors Description:

YA meets high fantasy in this lush series debut about a girl who never quite fit in — and the reason why...

Evelyn might not love the confines of her village life, but she takes her small freedoms where she can get them. But everything changes when her parents decide it’s time for her to wed. Suddenly she loses her tunic and breeches, her bow, her horse, and gains rigid gowns, restrictive manners, and carriage rides.

The best way to escape is through her dreams, but as they become more and more real, Evelyn begins to worry that she is losing her grasp on reality. It is only when she makes two new friends that the truth is revealed: she is destined for far, far more than even she could imagine.

Originality: ★★★
Medieval England (I believe, though the setting isn't clearly laid out in the beginning), Fae and many different beings supernatural all come together. This isn't exactly original but it has an edge of something special, something that falls flat from realizing its potential.

Plot/Setting/Character Development: ★
A lot of the characters fall flat for me. They are not dimensional enough, the story isn't developed enough to really get in their shoes and, well, the things that do happen are easily predictable. That mixed with the gaping holes in plot and setting

Editing:★★★

I hate  first person present tense. I hate it. I don't think it can be written well. I don't think it is written well in this piece. Past tense would have made a big difference. And for that I can only give it four stars.

The Romance: 

Somewhere between chaste and adult this work has adequate romance. I just wish that it was not quite so easy and clear cut. I would have liked a little more complexity in the story, a bit more development between the relationship between the love triangle. It deserves more. I want to root for these characters and I want to love Evie.

I recommend this work and I know it is a delightful read. Please check it out on Amazon.

Veronica Hardy is a professional editor and author who enjoys writing reviews in her spare time, for fun. She is not compensated by authors, publishers or online retail markets for her opinions. If you are interested in a book review or editing services please email her at Veronica.R.Hardy@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment