Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Showing off: Flowers shows us so much. And leaves us wanting even more.

Overall: ★★★★★

Another win in the I hit the review jackpot. Virginia Flowers lent me this naughty tale so that I could review it. I went into it a little reluctant. Voyeurism is not so much my thing, but god damn if she didn't convert me with Showing Off.

Blurb:
Getting naked is like falling in love...


Compared with her best friend, Jen, Erica feels like a failure at love. Her ten year marriage ended in divorce when she found her husband fooling around with another man. Her dating life is stuck in neutral at best, and often reverse. And now she's discovered she becomes incredibly aroused and turned on when she is flashing parts of her body best left hidden behind closed doors.
Jen, however, has plans for Erica and wants to set her up with her husband's handsome and charming co-worker, Tyler. He's a great guy, even if he can't tolerate the fact she enjoys revealing her nether regions to random strangers in public places. But when Erica bumps into a mystery man at the cemetery, tall, dark and handsome with perfect dimples, she's faced with a difficult choice.
Why does Tyler feel so right and yet so wrong? And why is she so attracted to Michael, the handsome "Mr. Dimples" who reminds her so much of her perfect fantasy man, but who is clearly grieving over the loss of his own wife, who was his one true love? Can Michael ever be expected to love her for herself and not compare her to the former Mrs. Dimples?
Will she give up exhibitionism for the nice guy? Or trample down the path of erotic explorations with the mystery man who may not be able to overcome his love for his dearly departed wife?

Originality: ★★★★

I've not looking too much into the voyeurism aspect of erotica. So while I know that there is a lot out there, I don't know the specifics. But I will say this. To combine voyeurism, sex-positivism, grief and loss, and erotic romance takes a special skill. Flowers has it all. She is witty, sexy and down right naughty with this book. Making me thirst for more.

Character Development: ★★★★
The idea of healing after a divorce or a loss is so real in this one, so poignant, that I could completely sympathize with the characters. I was totally routing for the characters throughout the book. I wanted to see what and how they were going to change over time. And I wasn't disappointed. Erica, well you could see her heal before your eyes. And the number of struggles here was enough to make it a solid five star review.



Appearance and Editing:★★★

Exceptional. Very impressed with the level of professionalism. The cover is sexy and straight to the point and the editing is flawless. 

The Romance/The Sex: 

Ahem. This is steamy on so many levels. Not just with the sex. The tension, erotic and romantic is out of the part on this one. I found myself rushing through because I wanted to know what happened next. I needed to know more about Michael. About Erica. Hell I even wanted to learn about Jen. This was hot. But it was also endearing. So much sex, but it is seamless and hot. I think it has just the right amount of romance to sex balance for a slightly steamy read on the train that has you feeling a little like you are Showing Off.

Please, go buy this book. Support us indie authors. And while you are at it, check out my other reviews!

Veronica Hardy is a professional editor and author who enjoys writing reviews in her spare time, for fun. She is not compensated by authors, publishers or online retail markets for her opinions. If you are interested in a book review or editing services please email her at Veronica.R.Hardy@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment