Thursday, November 21, 2013

Along Comes Trouble Has Some Trouble

Overall: ★★★☆ 2.5 Stars

I hate to review a book that begins with a bad review with a bad review. But, I just wasn't into this one. I felt like it had some really really promising moments, but other times it fell flat. And I had to adjust my star rating accordingly.

You can find the description on Amazon. 

Originality: ★★★

I like the idea. I do. I like the thought of two people coming together over food and photography. But a lot of the story was very predictable (I will get to that later) and it really knocked the originality down for me.

Character Development/Plot: ★★★

I liked the individual development of the characters... but the overall plot was filled with a lot of holes. I thought starting out with a bad review was a bad idea. I was bored before I even got to the 2nd page. I forced myself to push onward, however, because I wanted to root for the author. I wanted to like this book. But the descriptions drug out, there wasn't as much high stakes drama as their could have been, and at times I felt like I was reading a diary rather than an actual novel. Paragraph after paragraph of feelings and back and forth.

Show, don't tell. Show.

And the predictability... well I knew who Kelly was and what her purpose was as soon as she showed up in the novel. I thought it was too forced, coincidental and threw the entire story off for me. It didn't add an extra element, it just forced me to admit the 4th wall. 

Appearance and Editing:★★

The cover really really knocked me off balance here. I picked it up because I thought it was going to be country, not about a restaurateur's son and a photographer who have very little to do with the Wyoming countryside. I imagined  more country scenes and a beautiful landscape to backdrop their jobs and lives. But it didn't. It felt like it was just there to pull in people who like country contemporary, but never really touched it. 

The Romance/The Sex: 

The chemistry doesn't feel natural. It doesn't develop naturally at all. You have two people, an over sexualization of each of them in each other's minds, and then no real push towards each other. I skipped whole paragraphs (that I never even missed), trying to get to their conversations to feel that chemistry... and it was just a big bunch of nothin'.  



Veronica Hardy is a professional editor and author who enjoys writing reviews in her spare time, for fun. She is not compensated by authors, publishers or online retail markets for her opinions. If you are interested in a book review or editing services please email her at Veronica.R.Hardy@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment