Friday, May 16, 2014

The Curse Keepers: Keep your book.

 The Curse Keepers by Denise Grover Swank

I'm never a fan of Transphobia. I am a proud supporter of all of my Alphabet soup community, and I am certainly tired of seeing trans* jokes in books or on tv. 

Overall: 
When I sat down to read the "Curse Keepers" I was very excited for this new book. (Photo is linked from goodreads, It is not mine, and I did not claim it to be).

The premise sounded interesting, and the idea of a supernatural romance certainly did not put me off. Then I started reading. And I got to this little "gem".



Claire burst into laughter. "Are you sure he's not a tranny?"

"I thought trannies were guys dressing as girls, not the other way around." I took a deep breath to settle my giggles. "And no, he's got a part, just not an interested one."
My very first thought was, wow, are you serious? In 2014. You are making jokes about "trannies" really?

Being Transsexual should not be a funny little quip you put into your story line using inappropriate language. A way to get across that a man is not interested in you.

It infuriated me, but I thought to move on and read the whole book, knocking it a star. Until I realized, that no. I would not do that about someone who was being made fun of on the basis of their race, religion, or sexuality. I certainly would not do that about someone who is being ridiculed and used as a joke based on their status as a trans* person.

I'm tired of seeing this kind of behavior exhibited. This is more than just in poor taste, it is completely unacceptable.

Pass on this book. I know I am going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment